Saturday, January 13, 2024

The Challenge of Authenticity

In my book, The Philosophy of Dark Paganism, I wrote about the importance of authenticity in Dark Paganism. Psychotherapist Carl Rogers was influential in developing the modern idea of ‘authenticity.’ According to psychologist Stephen Joseph, Rogers believed “authenticity meant being the author of one’s own life.” 

 

One challenge to being authentic in modern society is that everything has been commodified, including authenticity. For example, a product search for ‘authenticity’ on the Amazon website will return dozens of books on the subject. Everyone is trying to sell you a book on being authentic, myself included. 

One tool that can help in our search for authenticity is self-knowledge. At the website Tiny Buddha, Debra Mittler provides a series of questions we can ask ourselves as we try to find our authentic expression:

  • What comes easy and natural for me?
  • Who am I when no one is looking?
  • What do I value?
  • What am I inspired to do but my head tells me not to?
  • What did I love to do as a child?
  • What do I truly enjoy doing now?
  • What is real about me, regardless of whether I judge it as good or bad?
  • What are my best qualities? “I’m caring, I’m loving, I’m empathetic, etc.”

Don’t feel bad if you think you’re not living authentically. Authenticity is a threat to our socioeconomic system because it’s difficult to make a profit from those who live authentic lives. Even those who have achieved an authentic expression of themselves, whatever that might look like, are always under pressure to follow the herd.

Authenticity is a lifelong process. Be gentle with yourself in your quest to achieve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Changes

Now that my life is so prearranged, I know that it’s time for a cool change. -    Cool Change by the Little River Band I’ve written a lot, a...